First Baptist Church of Barling is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Arkansas Baptist Convention and the Concord Baptist Association. Here is a bit of our history.
In 1906 concerned Christians organized a Baptist church in Barling. Land was obtained from Larkin Swift. There was no indoor plumbing and water was drawn from the house next door. All baptisms took place in Murphy’s creek or the strip pits at Central.
The church was dedicated as the “Missionary Baptist Church of Barling”. Brother Jim Brown was the first pastor.
In 1926 the church began taking a birthday offering each Sunday and the money collected was sent to the Arkansas Baptist Children’s Home. The church has continued this practice today.
In 1952 the church voted to align with the Southern Baptist Convention and to change the name of the church to First Baptist Church of Barling.
In 2006 we celebrated our 100th anniversary as an organized church in Barling. Our desire as a church is to show God’s love through meeting the needs in our community. We are committed to following our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and we seek His direction as we reach out in His service.